NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.
- Actively involved with advocacy for the four dalit girls gang-raped in Bhagana, Haryana, who are protesting at Jantar Mantar. On 11th May, DDS joined the protest rally and dharna at Hooda’s residence, 9 Pant Marg, organized by Bhagana Kandd Sangharsh Samiti. On 5th June, the statements of the Dalit rape survivors were recorded at the National Commission of Scheduled Castes with ISI assistance. Represented on behalf of the Bhagana rape case victims before the National Human Rights Commission and National Commission for Women.
- Insitute staff actively participated in many protests and dharnas in Jantar Mantar on issues related to Human Rights violations, Sardar Sarovar Dam, SC status for Dalit Christians and Muslims, Violence against Women, Khandamal Never Again, Minorities Under Attack, attack on churches in Delhi and 300 days of NDA govt.
- DHRL was instrumental in in saving a teenage girl from the clutches of people engaged in human trafficking in Patna with the support of Justice Ventures International.
- Department of Tribal Studies (DTS) organized several meetings of the tribals leaders of Chotanagpur (Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Odisha and West Bengal) living in Delhi-NCR with an objective of brining them together on one platform for tribal welfare in Delhi. After Independence many tribals migrated from Chotanagpur to Delhi in search of jobs and other livelihoods and got settled permanently in Delhi-NCR. For decades many of them have no contact or minimum contact with their roots in Chotanagpur. Most of them are living a secure life in a very comfortable zone and are least bothered about their rights, identity and the wellbeing of the rest of the tribal community. They do not feel the pinch of the plight of the tribals of Chotanagpur. DTS is trying to bring them out of their comfort zone and motivate them to stand for tribal issues and struggles. To this end, DTS organized meetings of several groups of tribals: retired tribals, tribals in government jobs, tribal youth and tribal priests and Religious Sisters living in Delhi. DTS also has formed a Tribal Think Tank which will meet regularly to reflect on tribal issues and concerns.
- Institute supports NGOs and civil society organisations to highlight human rights violations through various demonstrations, to demand accountability from the government in active collaboration with Wada Na Todo Abyiyan, dalit and tribal organisations.
- Series of meeting were organised in partnership with a number of NGOs to respond to IB report which targeted NGOs, human rights defenders and reduced civil society space.
- The institute was part of a 10 member Fact Finding Team that went to Pabnava village in Kaithel, Haryana, on 17th April, 2013 to probe the incident where 200 Dalit families were attacked and ransacked in the village on 13th April 2013.
- On 10 February, 2014 the institute organized a special event on ‘The Ideas of India and Civil Society Space’ which was attended by more than 45 participants. The group decided to engage in expanding civil society space in the context of the forthcoming general elections.
- The institute in collaboration with partner organizations facilitated the visit of Prof Heiner Bielefeldt, the UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion or Belief, from 18th February to 27th February, 2014. On 26th February the institute also organized a public lecture by Prof Bielefeldt at Indian International Centre.
- The institute closely worked with Wada Na Todo Abyiyan before the general elections both in terms creating awareness in the grass roots and to negotiate with political parties to include the aspirations of the common people in their manifestoes.
- The institute staff engaged and participated in various meetings, workshops organized by different organizations and also in the struggles and protests of the poor and the marginalized. To mention a few - On retrenchment of TOM operators of Delhi Metro; Equal rights for Dalit Christians and Dalit Muslims; Comprehensive legislation for domestic workers; Rehabilitation of Displaced Families in Sardar Sarovar Dam and Demanding legislation on SCSP and TSP.
- Institute also provides liaison support and accompaniment to NGOs and civil society organizations to take up their campaign in the national capital with key stakeholders.
Design & Developed by :