Rural development as an integrated concept of growth and development has been of paramount concern in India. The Rural Development Unit of the Institute not only examines and analyses the issues concerning the rural poor and makes the learning and findings available to other researchers as well as the larger society through publications, seminars and workshops, it also adopts a rights-based approach with diversified strategies like action-oriented research, training, networking, advocacy etc.
The principal focus of research is on the transformation of the rural areas. The unit’s overall agenda is bringing together and benefiting from the research and experience of technical experts, researchers, academics, policy-makers, government officials and social activists from different disciplines.
On Going Projects
- Implementation Status and Impact of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) in Jharkhand, Orissa, Bihar (as First Phase) and Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Uttar Pradesh (as Second Phase).
- Evaluation Study Of Janani Suraksha Yojana (Jsy) In Two Districts of Uttarakhand.
Projects Completed by the Unit
- A study of causes, concerns and impacts of migration 'within', 'to' and 'from' states of Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.
- "Social Dynamics & Determinants of Food Security in Uttar Pradesh"
- "Double Exclusion - A study on Dalit Muslims in selected States of India"
- "Evaluation of Jesuit Schools in Patna Province"
- Survey of Displacement and Rehabilitation in Madhya Pradesh due to the Sardar Sarovar Project
- Impact Assessment of Rural Development Programmes of Ministry of Rural Development in Nadia District of West Bengal
- Backward Castes Assertion in Rajasthan
- Muslim Institutions in the Indo-Nepal Border Districts
- Dalit Child Labour in Hazardous Industries of India
- Impact Assessment and Strategy Formation of the Jesuit Apostolate of Delhi Region
- Social Mobility and Changing Identity
- Identity formation among the Dalits of Haryana
- National Safai Karamcharis Development and Corporation’s Financial Assistance Schemes on Occupational Development of the Safai Karamcharis: An Impact Analysis
- Gender Initiatives in Water Resources Management
- Relief Activities in the Earthquake Affected Areas of Gujarat
- Impact of Panchayati Raj Institutions and NGO Programmes In the Context of Globalisation and Privatisation
- Social Segregation and Slums: The Plight of Dalits in the Slums of Delhi
- Community Based Health Care, A Study in UP
- Shift Farm to Non-Farm Employment and Rural Women:Trends and Challenges.
- Power Sector Reforms in India
- Sustainable Development: Emerging Linkages between PRIs and NGOs
- Promoting Sustainable Agriculture for Small and Marginal Farmers
- Impact of Air Pollution on Agriculture In Faridabad 2000
- Land Reforms in Orissa
Various Training Programmes Organized by Rural & Urban Development Unit
- Organized a field-level training-workshop on “Appropriate Technology for Income Generation for Rural Women in Madhya Pradesh" on 24-26 May, 2011 in Chandrapur village, Sagar district, M.P., in collaboration with Vigyan Lokpriyakaran Evam Samajik Sodh Santhan, (VLSSS) , Begamganj (M.P.)
- Organized a field-level training workshop on "Dalit Women's Health" in collaboration with Nehru Yuva Chetna Kendra, in Deoria District, Uttar Pradesh to nearly 70 participants on 1-2 February 2012.
- Organised a field-level advocacy programme on "Gender, Hunger, and Food Security" in collaboration with Vikas Dhara Vidha Mahila Sansthan, in Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh to nearly 50 participants from rural and semi-urban areas on July 31, 2010
- Organized a field-level advocacy programme on "Gender, Hunger, and Food Security" in collaboration with Gramin Vikas Evam Manav Sewa Sansthan, in Muzaffarnagar, Uttar Pradesh to nearly 53 participants from rural and semi-urban areas on March 28, 2011.
- A training programme on “Rights of Tribal Communities and Migrant Workers” was organized at Keylong, Himachal Pradesh from 11-12 September 11, 2009. Ashish Gupta conducted a training programme in collaboration with Tribal & Dalit Unit of ISI on “Conflict, Dialogue and Social Healing” at Patna (Bihar) on September 25-26, 2009.
- The Unit along with People for Peace Foundation, Faizabad jointly organized a training programme on “Women’s Health and Empowerment” at Faizabad, Uttar Pradesh, India from October 6-7, 2009.
- A one day training programme on “Conflict, Dialogue and Social Healing” was organized at Saharanpur (U.P.), in collaboration with Tribal & Dalit Unit of ISI on October 26, 2009.
- A one day training programme on “Women’s Health and Empowerment for Muslim Girls and Women” was organized at Shahdara, Delhi, in collaboration with Tribal & Dalit Unit of ISI and Vishwas Mahila Samiti, Shahdara on December 19, 2009.
- A two-day training-workshop on “Strategies for Sustainable Community Development” was organized at Indian Social Institute, New Delhi on January 28-29, 2010, followed by a field exposure on January 30, 2010. This programme was sponsored by GMR Foundation, Hyderabad.
- “Status of Women in Delhi” at Missionaries of Charity Trust, Asha Dham, Karkardooma on April 18, 2008.
- Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) training course for the “Research Methodology for Social Action” programme for Jesuits in Social Action (JESA) group from April 24 – 26, 2008 in the Indian Social Institute, New Delhi.
- A training programme on “Organisation and Group Behaviour” at Udayan, Rajasthan on June 14-16, 2008.
- Human Rights and Law Department and Rural Development Unit jointly organized a training course on “Social Changes Through Visual Media” at NISCORT, Ghaziabad, from September 23 – October 25, 2008.
- A two-days national workshop conducted on Two years of CMP: A Civil Society Assessment from May 23-24, 2006 at Indian Social Institute.
- An organisational Development training programme for Aman Samudai was conducted at Ahmedabad from July 06-08, 2006
- An orientation on socio-economic and political scenario in India for a group of Japanese students was conducted on August 18, 2006.
- Basics and Orientation on SPSS Programme was conducted at Bihar Social Institute, Patna from September 5-7, 2006.
- A six day training programme for Aman Samudai, Ahmedabad was organised at Indian Social Institute from September 8-13, 2006
- A one day session on Social Analysis for “Nazareth Mahila Samit” was organised at Indian Social Institute on September 10, 2006
- A training programme on Values at BHEL was organised in Noida on November 22 & 23, 2006
- One day workshop was organised on “Genetically Modified Organism and Bio-Safety in India” on February 12, 2007 at Indian Social Institute.
- A month long training programme was conducted on “Research Methodology for Media and Social Analysis” at NISCORT, Ghaziabad in February 2007.
- A workshop on War on Seed: South Asia in the Firing Line was organised in People SAARC Summit at Kathmandu on March 24, 2007.
- A workshop was conducted on 'Privatise the Himalaya' at People SAARC Summit at Kathmandu on March 24, 2007.
- A two-days training programme conducted in Alwar (Rajasthan) on “Gender Perspective in Water Harvesting and Management” on February 6-7, 2006.
- Conducted a national level “Capacity Building and Leadership Formation Among SC, ST and Muslim youth from November 8th-11, 2005 at Indian Social Institute.
- State level Capacity Building and Leadership Formation among SC, ST and Muslim Youth from June 17-20, 2005 at Bhubaneswar, Orissa.
- Conducted a two days national workshop on “Participatory Governance: In perspective of the Marginalised Sections” from February 25th to 26th 2006.
- Archana Sinha and Kaushal Kishore, “Mahila Swasthya: Ek Pahal” A joint collaboration of Indian Social Institute, New Delhi and NYCK (Nehru Yuva Chetna Kendra, Deoria)
- Archana Sinha and Mukhtar Alam, “Dalit Muslims – A Double Exclusion: A Study on the Dalit Muslims in Selected States of India”, Indian Social Institute, New Delhi, 2010.
Upto year 2009-10
- Archana Sinha and T.A. John (eds), “Health Matters: India’s Health Services, Who Benefits?” Indian Social Institute, New Delhi, 2009. Pp: 401, Rs. 250.
- Archana Sinha and T.A. John, “Food Security Matters”, Indian Social Institute, New Delhi, 2010. Pp: 270, Rs. 150.
- “Organisation Culture of NGOs – Does it Matter?” Indian Social Institute, New Delhi. 2008.
- “Privatisation of Health Services: Implications for the Marginalised”, Indian Social Institute, New Delhi 2009
- Right to Food Campaign; Training Manual, New Delhi: Indian Social Institute.
- Rashtry Jal Niti 2002---Ek Samikshatamak Parichay, (Translation of the English Version), New Delhi: Indian Social Institute.
- Bhojan ka Adhikar: Ek Pershikchhan Pustika (Translation of Training Manual), New Delhi: Indian Social Institute.
- Regional Economic Development and Contemporary Geopolitics in the Indian Ocean Rim, New Delhi. Om Publications. 2004.
- Madrasa and Terrorism: Myth or Reality, Indian Social Institute, New Delhi. 2004
- Conceptual Tools for Training Facilitator, New Delhi: Indian Social Institute.
- Sojourners in the Process of Empowerment – A training manual on social analysis for Self-Help Groups, New Delhi: Indian Social Institute.
- Social Mobility and Changing Identity of the Dalits in Haryana, New Delhi: Indian Social Institute.
- Changing Contours of Gujarati Society – Identity Formation and Communal Violence, New Delhi: Indian Social Institute.
- Archana Sinha (ed), “Sustaining Communities: Strategies for Sustainable Community Development”, Indian Social Institute, New Delhi, 2009. Pp: 344, Rs. 250.
- "Social Exclusion and Inequality in Health Sector", in Asian journal of Social Science-Social Modernity, under special issue on Social Equality , Edited and published by Ranchi University, Ranchi (Jharkhand), Volume 1, Number 1, June 2011, pp. 53-60.
- "Right to Education: More than a Necessity', Subalterns, Volume 19, April-June, 2011, No 2, Pp. 5-6.
- "Need for a Strong Jan Lokpal Bill: A Fight against Corruption", Subalterns, Volume 19, July to September, 2011, No. 3, pp. 6-7.
- “Economi Liberalisation in India and Foreign Direct Investment”, Subalterns, Volume 20, January-March 2012, No. 1, pp. 7-8.
- "Gender Concerns and Domestic Violence", Women's Link, Social Institute, New Delhi, Volume 17, No. 1, January-March, 2011, pp. 29-35.
- "Impact of Caste Census on Indian Polity" Subalterns, Indian Social Institute, New Delhi, Vol.18, October-December 2010, No. 4, pp. 2-3.
- "Corruption and Governance: Rural Poor are the Worst Hit", Subalterns, Indian Social Institute, New Delhi, Vol.19, No 1, pp 6-7, January to March 2011.
- "Challenging the Injustice of Poverty", an Editorial in Legal News and Views, Vol. 25, No 2, February 2011.
Upto year 2009-10
- Improving Rural Health System through Public-Private Partnerships” Subalterns, Volume: 17, No 2, April-June, 2009. Pp: 2-3.
- “National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme: A Livelihood Opportunity”, Subalterns, Volume: 17, No 3, July-September, 2009. Pp: 7-8.
- “Health System at Crossroads: The Challenges Ahead”, Subalterns, October–December, 2009, Volume 17, No 4, Pp: 4-5.
- “Impact of Naxal Problems on People: Some Perspectives”, Subalterns, Volume: 18, No 1, January-March, 2010. Pp: 5-7.
- “Human Misery – Its Causes and Liberative Action” in Sebasti L. Raj, Bernard Bara, Mehul Chauhan and Ansu Abraham (Eds), Eradicating Human Misery, Pp. 81-101, Jabalpur, XIDAS Publications.
- “Imagine a New South Asia” in Indian Journal of Youth Affairs, Volume 12, No. 1, 5-15, January-June, New Delhi. 2008.
- Organisational Culture and NGO Performance, in Editors Mahaveer Jain, Parth Sarathi. 2008. ANNUAL HAND BOOK OF HUMAN RESOURCE INITIATIVES. Delhi: Initiatives and Interventions. Pp.271. 2008
- “Facilitating Development of Tribal Women in Rural India: Status, Emerging Issues and Concerns” Volume XXXXI, No. 2, July-December, 2008, AARDO, New Delhi, Pp. 45-67.
- “Agriculture and Food Security: Crisis and Challenges Today” in Social Action, January – March 2009, Volume 59, No 1, Pp. 1-16,
- “Social Security for Women in Unorganised Sector: Human Development Perspective” in Subalterns, ISI, Volume 16, April to June, No.2, 2008 page 2-3.
- “Food Crisis: Increasing insecurity in South Asia” in Subalterns, Volume 16, July-September, 2008, No. 3, page 1-2, Indian Social Institute, New Delhi.
- “Issues in Rural Non-Farm Sector” in “Status and Dynamics of Rural Employment” edited by Ombeer Singh Tyagi, Om Publications, New Delhi, 2008, page 23-42.
- “Conceptual Understanding and Study Design” in a book on “Status and Dynamics of Rural Employment” edited by Ombeer Singh Tyagi, Om Publications, New Delhi, 2008, Pp. 43-58.
- “Extent and Nature of Non-Farm Employment” in a book on “Status and Dynamics of Rural Employment” edited by Ombeer Singh Tyagi, Om Publications, New Delhi, 2008, Pp. 99-116.
- Mental Health and Aging: A Gender Perspective” in an edited book entitled, “Mental Health and Aging Women: Important Correlates” by Parul Dave and Pallavi M. Mehta, Kalpaz publications, Delhi, Rs. 1190, Chapter 3, Year: 2008, Pp. 211-233.
- Watershed Management for Rural Development-Towards Gender Equity, Women’s Link.
- Consequences of Agricultural Technology Transfer on Weaker Sections in India, in Sheng-Chung Huang, Fong-Win and Chien-Yih Lin (ed.), “Agricultural Technology Transfer and its Consequences, Proceeding of AAFDO International Workshop”, published by Agricultural Research Institute, Council of Agricultural Taiwan [RDC].
- Rural Development, Poverty and Common Minimum Programme: What is New, Farmer’s Forum.
- The Scope of Sustainable Agriculture in Asia-Pacific Region: Trends and Perspectives, Afro-Asian Journal of Rural Development.
- Child Labour Elimination: Need for a Multi-Pronged Approach, Women’s Link
- Gender Dynamics in Water Security: A Study in Rajasthan State of India in Afro-Asian Journal of Rural Development, Published by Afro-Asian Rural Development Organisation, New Delhi.
- Rural Sanitation: Perspectives. This article was published in Kurukshetra, Journal on Rural Development.
- Rural Sanitation: Perspectives this article was published in Kurukshetra, Journal on Rural Development.
- Panchayaton Ke Zariye Grameen Vikas Mein Mahilaon Ki Bhumika (in Hindi) This was published in a Hindi Book on Mahila Jagriti aur Sashaktikaran by S.B. Verma, et.al.
- Tribes in Orissa: Displaced, Deceived and Driven to Despair, this was published in Pioneer, New Delhi/Bhubaneswar.
- Panchayats and Empowerment of Scheduled Castes in Haryana in Beni A. Ekka and A. Prasad (Ed) Social Empowerment through Development Interventions (Innovative Experiments at the Grassroots) a Golden Jubilee Commemorative volume, Xavier Institute of Social Service, Ranchi.
- Right to Information and Panchayati Raj Institutions, this was published in Kurukshetra, Journal on Rural Development.
- Little Adults in the World of Work, this article was published in Social Action.
- Abolition of Child Labour and Sustainable Development, this was published in a book by Ehsanul Haq and Sudhir Kumar Singh, 2006, Population and Sustainable Development in India, Delhi: Authors Press.